Sunday, August 22, 2010

the do's and dont's (for dj's...part 1)

well many of you thak know me (friends from past and present) know I've been a dj and have been spinning for quite some time...1987 to be exact. And throughout those 20+ years of spinning various genres from hip-hop, Chicago house, deep house, RNB, steppers and occasionally pop, Ive learned a few things, some on my own with trial, and error as well as from dj's either close friends of mine, radio dj's and mobile.
This past weekend I attended my 20 yr high school class reunion...BIG SHOUT TO 1990!!!

...oh where was I, oh yes my reunion and it was all love seeing so many friends that I havent seen since the summer of '90 when I graduated. The food was good and the vibe was great until......

the dj (yes the dj) would either consistently change the music, put on a hot old school deep house joint and then stop it & talk so this brings me to the title of my blog....the do's and donts (AKA the what NOT to do as a DJ)


1. DO NOT take 5 hot songs and play only 30-45 seconds of the first verse (you can really piss the crowd off with that)

2. PLEASE DO NOT blend slow songs together (Let Keith sweat finish his beggin before you put on the Isley Brothers)

3. Play songs that have matching tempos or beats per minute (Its not possible to go from "Is It all over my face" to Beastie Boys "Paul Revere" and not look like a complete idiot in the process)

4. If you have an announcement to make, its ok, say it BUT dont stop the record completely, just turn it down say what you gotta say and keep it movin

5. If youre spinnin before a 35 and older crowd please dont think they want to hear the same 8 or 9 songs that the radio played all day everyday (unless you was really tryin to clear the floor)

.....feel free to add on with comments and opinons

2 comments:

  1. LOL I didn't get a chance to email my suggestions but here are some from my DJ nightmare last night:

    6. Do not go to DJ a 25 year old's party (in 2010) and your first 3 hours of music only include songs from your Greatest Blues hits CD and a few favorites from the 60's.

    7. Do not DJ for a wedding and play all the songs mentioned in #6 then put on the "Gangsta Slide" when the waiters are serving dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blues?!? gangsta slide during dinner O_o

    BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete